Sunday, April 6, 2008

Moving Along

It's been a while since I last wrote. Here's a bit to catch things up.
Benjamin is working on getting into a sitting up position. He's doing well with it and can stay in the sitting position for a while. He still can't quite get the crawling thing done, but he still tries. I'm starting to notice some differences in him and when Ian was his age. He throws little 'tantrums' when I take something away from him or when I walk out of the room. Ian never really did that. I was always so proud of that, being a new mom and thinking, "Hey, he doesn't throw a fit like other kids. I must be lucky." So during the "well baby checkups" (something I DON'T do anymore) when the nurse would ask, "Does he......" , I would proudly say, "No." You'd think at some point they would have bothered to tell me that it wasn't normal for him not to notice. That's one of the smaller reasons we left our first pediatrician. Anyway, so now I get to actually look for things and have some clue. He also really watches my mouth when I'm exaggerating a word I want him to imitate. It's like he really wants to say it. He turns 1 year old on the 25th. I can't believe it. My last 1st birthday!

Avery was invited to her first birthday party from her preschool. Twins. She mentions their names all the time. And I was told by their mom that they mention Avery's a lot as well. They had the party at a kid's gymnastics place. It was really fun. Avery had a blast. Boy, was she smaller than all the other kids! My little, petite princess. No more poop in the potty since the first. Trying to wait patiently.

Ian still fluctuates quite a bit between good days and not so good days. I have something I wish I could write about, but better if I don't. Hmph. I've decided on something I'm going to get him in hopes he will start to leave his sister alone. Today at church our pastor used a bopping something, something, something. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a blow-up thing that is shaped kinda like a bowling pin. You put sand in the bottom of it. Then, when you hit it, it goes down, but bounces back up again. I was thinking maybe he could use that for his aggression. Think we could teach that to him? I just don't know how long we can handle him hitting Avery and pulling her hair. It's so fustrating, and even more frustrating that we just can't understand it. Sometimes I wish I could get into his little head. Sometimes I'm afraid that would make me feel even worse to know. We just keep praying for him.

That should be it for now.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad that Benjamin has his little tantrums :)
We used to have one of those "bopper" things when I was growing up; I think it was a clown. I have 6 older brothers, maybe it helped them from beating each other up. Now, there are some days I wish I had one for me!

Kristiem10 said...

My nephew with FX beat up on his sister a lot, too. I want to let you know that for the most part, he has outgrown it. Or, at least more able to control his impulses. So there is hope.

And, way to go Benjamin for sitting up! Keep working, and you'll be crawling before you know it!