Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ahhh, Rain!

I get sad to think about all the people affected by the hurricanes and other such weather, but at the same time, I am thankful for the rain it brings to us. I love rainy days...especially after really sunny, hot days. Actually, it'd be better around here if the humidity didn't hit as well. BUT, football has started, which means fall is here!!!! LOVE FOOTBALL, LOVE FALL! We were even married in the fall. Oops, side-tracked. So, my precious daughter and I sat and watched the rain fall last night. Next time it rains during the day, I want to take them out to play in it. I don't think I've once let them play out in the rain. Who doesn't love to play in the rain!

This morning we were one of 'those' people who have the sprinklers running right after a rain. We've all seen them, and we have all commented. Now I no longer comment. We haven't quite figured out the system in this house since we've moved in. I know it's not possessed, we just can figure out how to set it right. So hopefully others will drive by and think, "oh, they must not know how to work their system either", instead of, "what dummies!"

I've been digging out stuff to start working on Avery learning to read. Anyone ever use Alphabet Island? I'm going to a friend of mine tomorrow so she can lead me through the curriculum. Avey just seems to really want to read. She loves recognizing any letters that she can and flipping through pages of books, telling the story.

I think a lot of it is also that I'm feeling like I've got to see some academic learning going on in our house. After going over and over and over colors, Ian still can't recognize them...although he does understand the concept of what a color is. He just doesn't say the right one when asked. He goes over them in school, he's gone over them when he was in a separate ST, and we go over them here at home. I know, I know, I'm way too hard on myself. I just get so sad for him. After reading many of your blogs, I know Ian is not alone in it all. And he IS only 4 with FX. I guess with each new stage of life, I just need to remember God has blessed me with something new. And I know He will lead the way to how to get things through to him and how to help teach him.

Have I mentioned how much I love the rain........

4 comments:

Umma said...

Colors are hard, the best tool we've found are M&M's (we use them for everything, lol.) Monkey just wasn't motivated by flashcards or other toys we tried. But he has a better chance of correctly identifying a blue M&M than a blue square...so we go with it.

If anyone ever comments on running your sprinkeler after a storm tell them you just needed to give the grass a extra deep soaking to promote a healthy root system. They can't argue with that.

Betsy Brock said...

I love rain, too! It is so relaxing just to sit and watch a long, slow drizzle! Makes me sleepy just to think of it!

Anonymous said...

It is raining here too and I'm totally LOVING it!! Though my hubby is getting transferred to where Ike seems to be heading so I may not like it much longer.

Kathie said...

Please don't be sad for Ian. He doesn't realize that he doesn't know his colors and I'm sure it doesn't make him sad.