Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dad Update; Argh! on Drugs; Nine Years; And Poop Galore


After a week of being with my dad, I'm back home now. The Lord let me leave with more peace than I thought I could have. During the day before I left, my dad was very coherent and his speech was great. He was very tired and sleepy still, but he didn't have many disoriented moments. They have him on Tylenol now instead of the morphine. His bandages are off to expose the staples (27 of them!). My mom said he had a very good and restful night last night. He was able to eat food (dysphasia diet), and his swallowing test came back clear. So please continue to be praying for a full recovery and for him to get out of ICU, and also for no other issues to arise. And keep praying for him to come to know the Lord as his Savior through all this.

Now the yuck part. We're still working on the medication stuff for Ian. It's been a bit of a contention area. I think we aren't giving it enough time, not to mention it doesn't seem really fair to judge it after only 3 weeks, when one of those weeks has been complete chaos for Ian...mom gone for a week, dad taking care of them, other caregivers taking care of them, and green snotty nose. Hmmmm, sounds like enough to throw ME over! So, we've taken him off the Strattera and have an appointment with the new neurologist on the 24th....hoping for a cancellation before then.

Today is our 9 year wedding anniversary! We both agree that we are even more in love now than when we first married. The Lord can do great and amazing things. He really has shown us a lot during our marriage, especially during these hard 3 years of our 3 childrens' diagnoses. I've decided that for us there are 2 options in our life circumstance....we either work together, or we don't. And our working together has to include the Lord as head of our marriage. He's much better at peace than we are. Anyhoo, I'm very fortunate to have Jim as my husband, best friend, and daddy of my children.

I can't forget to mention my darling Avery. In the last week she has twice disappeared to bathroom with us knowing. Then we hear a sweet little, "Mommy!" or "Daddy!" By the smell on our way to the bathroom, we know what to expect. Our little girl has gone poop completely on her own! I am sooo happy and soooo proud.

5 comments:

Umma said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!

And on the poop ;-)

Betsy Brock said...

It's great to hear people count their blessings...and you have many of them! Happy Anniversary!

Vicki Davis said...

You have been tagged - Hope to see your responce soon!

http://hollyzzdavis.blogspot.com/2008/10/ive-been-tagged.html

Unknown said...

What a great post...a little bit of everything...poopy progress and all! Good continued success!

Leanne said...

Congrats on your annnniversary!

I just found your blog, and only just started reading so I'll have some catching up to find the rest of the story on your dad, but I can relate. My dad spent 3 months in the hospital a few years ago and was in ICU for a while, all stemming from complications from diverticulitus. We weren't sure if he would make it, but thankfully many prayers were answered. But it was so hard to see my daddy so sick. I will go back and read more, and keep your dad in my prayers.

Oh, and I'm so jealous of the poop progress! LOL My 5 year old still has never pooped anywhere other than his pull-up.